Oct 6, 2018
Three months ago, I and my twin ten-year-old boys sent
our saliva off to a lab in Canada for one of the most advanced
genetic tests available.
And I was blown away by what I learned.
In today's podcast, I reveal the test that we took, exactly what
we learned and how you can take the same test as we did. My guest
is Dr. Karim Dhanani, who is the founder and Chief Medical Director
at Toronto’s Centre for Biological Medicine, a clinic that is
redefining North American naturopathic medicine for the 21st
Dr. Dhanani’s clinic – a specially designed, ecologically sound
facility set in pristine Canadian woodland – has become a global
mecca for those seeking to live their lives at 100%. For Dr.
Dhanani, the appeal of medicine was always the investigative
aspect. He loves breaking down a tough problem, and systematically
uncovering the root causes with diligence, discipline, and
After completing his education in biology, chemistry, and
naturopathic medicine, he found his calling in German biological
medicine, a branch of naturopathy that integrates cutting-edge
science and precision with the millennia-old wisdom of natural
healing techniques. But just learning in a laboratory setting
wasn’t enough. Dr. Dhanani set off on a journey that took him from
Canada to Europe to Africa and beyond, to understand what lies at
the most advanced frontiers of Biological Medicine.
Since establishing the Centre for Biological Medicine in 2002,
he has transformed the lives of thousands of individuals, including
athletes, scientists, and other doctors at the highest levels of
their professions. His internationally renowned reputation –
particularly in the naturopathic treatment of chronic degenerative
disease – has led to research collaborations with Nobel Prize
winners, and turned Dr. Dhanani into one of naturopathic medicine’s
most sought-after speakers.
During our discussion, you'll discover:
-The fascinating history and world of biological medicine,
and a German pioneer of medicine that Dr. Dhanani learned
- The goal is to identify the "root cause" of a symptom or
- It's a combination of diagnostic tools and innovative thought
processes. "We look to see what 'outside the box' is influencing
what is 'inside the box.'"
- What is the relationship between biological medicine and
- Only substantive difference is that of vernacular.
- Both are looking at the body's capacity to heal; responses to
symptoms, or "punches" to your body.
- Cell communication: we believe cells speak via
- Dr. Fritz Albert Popp: pioneer
of biophotonic signaling of cells.
- The Baden Baden Biological Medicine
conference in Germany.
- Energy medicine has a larger role to play than physical
-The most interesting biohacks coming out of Europe,
including the Mora machine for detoxification and new types of
laser treatments for red blood cells...21:55
- Just like we use words to communicate, certain bodies require
light and sound to communicate.
- The Mora machine uses electronics and sound to drive specific
frequencies into the system.
- We can increase the amount of glutathione in your body by
simply giving the frequency of glutathione without injecting
- You're providing a mechanism to carry the molecule into the
Weber Intravenous Laser Therapy
- Different color lights (not LED) affects communication between
- Depth of penetration of LED lights isn't as efficacious as
-Where 23andme genetic testing falls short, and what Dr.
Dhanani has discovered when it comes to the truth about genetic
testing and genomics...29:18
- You're only as good as the technology available.
- Tests must be 1) Accurate, 2) Reproducible and 3)
- 23andme uses "SNIPS" which are not functionally relevant;
they're good for data collection and perhaps ancestry.
- For illustration: You don't assume the forest is unwell because
one tree in it is unwell.
- Look at associations of SNIPS.
- MTHFR is one of many we can examine.
- Anywhere between 15-40% error rate with consumer tests like
- CNV (copy number variance)
- D2C tests don't tell you whether you have one or two copies of
a particular gene.
- You get a distorted view of your level of detox.
- The type of genetic testing is applicable for testing for
- 23andme also doesn't test for insertion/deletion genes.
-Why Ben can't absorb Vitamin D from sunlight, and why he
must supplement with Vitamin D instead...52:00
- Vitamin D is actually a pro-hormone, more than an actual
- 125 hydroxy vitamin D is the actual component.
- Some people are not genetically predisposed to absorb the 125
hydroxy from sunlight; it's necessary to transport it via
- Thorne Vitamin D and Vitamin K.
-Why Ben and his twin boys now take glutathione every day
(and why you must be very careful if you use any form of injectable
- Modern technology causes pollutants and stressors on the body
that didn't exist 100 years ago.
- We're referring to utilization and recycling of glutathione,
rather than the production.
- Many diseases can be traced to low levels of glutathione and
the inability to detoxify the body.
-How to increase your body's own glutathione with
nutrients such as N-Acetyl Cysteine, Alpha, Lipoic Acid, Selenium
and Milk Thistle...1:03:35
- The best scenario is your body generating glutathione on its
own; when the gene is deleted, then you seek injections.
- Dr. Dhanani's lab will create a customized formula, rather than
trying to ingest them individually.
- What is preferable: a liquid or powdered injection.
- Parkinson's patients have been known to have their symptoms
stabilized within seconds of a glutathione IV.
- You get optimal results beginning with a powder, then mixing it
with saline before injecting.
- The objection of the injection is to train your body to
generate glutathione on its own.
-Why Ben has high natural amounts of vascular inflammation
and what that has to do with high intensity exercise and HIIT
- 9P21 gene is a pre-ordained inflammatory level that is higher
- Occurs independent of diet, activity, etc.
- High intensity exercise creates massive amounts of blood flow,
then it stops; this exacerbates the issue.
- Folks who are uber healthy, then die suddenly have the 9P21
gene; they've actually been tested for it.
- People who die from chemotherapy, have the 9P21.
- My podcast episode with Thomas Ingoglia in
which we discuss GDF11 mRNA
-How to know if your pancreas is producing the proper
amount of insulin in response to the diet you are
- tcf7l2 gene
- If I was not tracking my levels and activity, I'd be at serious
risk of a heart attack given my genetics.
-The DMPS/EDTA Chelation Challenge for heavy metals
and how it works...1:22:15
- You want to look for a spike in your aluminum; it tends to be
stored in the brain.
- If you see that spike, you're at the deepest storage
- DMSA doesn't pull lead or cadmium out of your system.
-The best way to measure your endothelial health and
vascular function (using a protocol called
- PAT = Peripheral Arterial Tone.
- They measure endothelial lining, the level of
- They can change over time, or with changes in your diet.
- Always be comparing apples to apples.
-The extreme importance for Brain Derived Neurotrophic
Factor (BDNF) of sauna, intermittent fasting, Lion's Mane mushroom
extract, and low intensity (not HIIT) cardio...1:28:45
- We associate this with TBI.
- Reprogram neural inputs to offset the damaged pattern.
- Those with 9P21 gene are more susceptible to endothelial
- Limit extreme activity.
- The 9P21 gene limits the amount of dopamine you're naturally
able to produce.
-Why having a "low serotonin reabsorption" issue can
cause you to ruminate and dwell upon items...1:33:15
- Serotonin is the "seat" of executive function: how does your
body eliminate peripheral nagging in your system?
- Peripheral/secondary things become your focus.
- Mental echo: "did I actually close the garage door???"
-How Ben takes notes at night without keeping himself
awake for too long...1:36:45
- Evernote or similar tools that sync among devices.
- People with low BDNF and serotonin can actually connect things
like conversations and tasks better - because you're ruminating on
- I keep a pilot pen light and piece of paper so I can take
notes as they come into my mind.
- Low BDNF also affects circadian rhythm; difficulty falling and
- Lion's Mane mushroom extract helps supplement BDNF.
-The single most important reason Ben needs to limit his
intake of saturated fats...1:44:00
- 7-10% of fat should be saturated.
- You can have avocados, but not coconut or MCT oils.
- 9P21 gene increases inflammation; which goes to your
vasculature and affects your focus and concentration.
- Going beyond supplements: lifestyle activities such as
meditation, intermittent fasting are efficacious in increasing
-Why Dr. Dhanani says: "Epigenetics can disqualify
genetics - and I’ve done just that"...1:49:40
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
-Click here to get $50 off a consult with Dr. Dhanani, along
with $400 (instead of $920) for the test and $199/month (instead
of $229/month) for the customized supplements.
-My DNA testing results
-My son River's DNA testing
-My son Terran's DNA testing
-The Carillon resort in Miami
-Book: Bioregulatory Medicine: An Innovative Holistic
Approach to Self Healing
-Dr. Fritz Albert Popp
-Book: Integrative Biophysics: Biophotonics
-The Baden Baden medical week
conference in Germany
-The Biological Medicine/Swiss Healing
Retreat Ben is leading in Europe in July
-The Mora machine Dr. Dhanani
-Weber intravenous laser
-My podcast episode with Thomas Ingoglia in
which we discuss GDF11 mRNA
-The Thorne Vitamin D/Vitamin K
-The Almsbio glutathione Ben and his
-The True Cellular Detox heavy metal detox Ben does
-Book: Less Doing, More Living: Make Everything in Life
-Four Sigmatic Lion's Mane Mushroom
-The Pilot Pen Night Writing pen that Ben uses
Centre for Biological Medicine
is offering podcast listeners an
opportunity to take charge of their health by offering Youtrients
testing and supplements at over 50% discount. Regular testing price
is US$920.00, now you can take advantage of the same testing for
US$400.00 Along with this, the Centre for Biological Medicine
will support your ongoing health by offering consultations to
detail the results of the genomic tests to tailor your food intake,
lifestyle and supplements to optimum health and wellness. With the
genomic test, there is a $50 discount for this consultation, should
you choose to proceed. To complete and ensure your optimal on going
health, we are also offering monthly supplement subscriptions to
all at a $30 discount; regular monthly fee of US$229, now only
US$199 per month. These supplements are tailored to your needs,
based on the showings of your Youtrients test and are fully
discussed during your consultation by our doctors; however, there
is no obligation to opt-in for this feature.
-Kion The best supplement line
on the Internet. Don't believe me? Just ask me, and I'll tell you!
Use Kion Lean for support for
normal blood sugar levels and healthy energy metabolism, even after
large, carb-rich meals.
-Organifi The Organifi
Green is like a salad in your glass. Use discount code "greenfield"
and get 20% off your order!
-Joovv Next-Level Light
Therapy. See how Joovv can help you reach—and surpass—your
health and fitness goals. Order with my link and get a special gift
with your order!
Guardian is what I use to eat gluten without all the
negative side effects. Get 10% off your order using my link.
Do you have questions, thoughts or feedback for Dr.
Karim or me? Leave your comments below and one of us will