Oct 26, 2019
Mind-Blowing Sex, Meditation For Insomnia, Meditation For Energy &
My guest on today's podcast has cracked the code on what
kind of meditation works for all these goals, and for many more.
Her name is Emily Fletcher, and Emily is the founder
of Ziva Meditation (use code BEN to save
$50) and the creator of zivaONLINE, the world’s first online
meditation training. Her mission is to make meditation attractive
and accessible to people who are ready to up-level their
performance and their lives.
Recently featured in The New York Times, named top 100
women in wellness to watch and regarded as one of the leading
experts in Vedic meditation, Emily has been invited by companies
like Google, Barclays Bank, sweetgreen, & Viacom to help improve
company performance through meditation.
She began her ten years of training in Rishikesh, India and was
inspired to teach after experiencing the profound physical and
mental benefits meditation provided her during her 10-year career
on Broadway, which included roles in Chicago, The Producers & A
Emily has been invited to speak at Harvard Business School,
Bulletproof Biohacking Conference, Summit Series, A-Fest and The
Omega Center. So far, she has taught over 5,100 people to become
self-sufficient meditators with this game changing practice to take
with them for life.
Stress Less, Accomplish More: Meditation for Extraordinary
Performance is a new book by Emily. For the book, she
specifically developed a novel meditation technique for working
people with busy lives.
Now, you can learn to recharge anywhere, anytime – at home or at
your desk. All you need is a few minutes and a chair (no apps,
incense, or finger cymbals required). But this is not just another
In it, Emily teaches a cool trifecta of Mindfulness, Meditation,
and Manifesting to improve your personal and professional
performance, clarity, health, and sleep. You learn how to cultivate
Mindfulness through brief but powerful exercises that will help you
stop wasting time stressing.
Plus, you’ll get Manifesting tools to help you get crystal clear
on your personal and professional goals for the future. I'm digging
it (and I'm usually NOT a fan of woo-woo meditation books).
Get it here.
During our discussion, you'll discover:
-How the Meditation Shame Spiral undermines efforts at
- Activity: "My brain is too crazy; my stress is special"
- Time: "I want to meditate, but I just don't have time"
- Broken promises to self; personal integrity
- No one has time to waste (return on investment)
- Stress is responsible for 90% of all doctor's visits
- Autonomic nervous system dysfunction is related to most
- You're not spending time;
you're investing time meditating
-Why meditation doesn't replace the importance of quality sleep
- Chemical reactions in the brain to sleep and meditation are
- Nature doesn't allow the human body to be in deep relaxation
physically and mentally at the same time
- Meditation is more relaxing, but is a different type of rest
- Curing insomnia is the #1 benefit that people report after
-Adaptation energy [16:30]
- Stressors vs. Demands affect your ability to adapt to
- When depleted of adaptation energy, you break (straw that
breaks the camel's back)
- We act and react according to the baseline stress levels in our
- Meditation doesn't change or remove the stressors; it
replenishes our adaptation energy
- Indicative of higher interplay between sympathetic and
parasympathetic nervous systems
- People are attracted to people who know how to to adapt (higher
- Chronic, staying stress is the killer
-Whether or not committing to a meditation regimen creates
more stress [22:45]
- If you become self-sufficient with meditation, you'll have more
time in your day, and you'll lose dependency on toys, gadgets,
- Your body will be functioning as it was designed to
-How the anatomical structure of the brain can change with
- Corpus callosum connects the left and right hemispheres of the
- It's proven that meditation thickens the corpus callosum
(strengthens the connection)
- Great way to come up with the witty comeback when it really
- Nootropics has a similar effect
-The effect of meditation on our neurons [31:30]
-The effects on telomere length [34:35]
-The nitty gritty of how Ziva meditation works [37:30]
- Three "M's": Mindfulness, meditating, manifesting
- Mindfulness: The art of bringing your awareness into the
present moment (not synonymous with meditation)
- Meditation: alleviates stress from today as well as from the
- Manifesting: Your thoughts become things
- It is inspired by Nishkam karma yoga
- Nishkam: "hardly taken"
- Karma: "action"
- Yoga: "union"
- "A union attained by action hardly taken"
- Many modern meditation techniques, apps, etc. are derived from
meditation intended for monks; this is why it's perceived as
difficult to the busy person
- Use of mantras:
- Mantra means "mind vehicle"
- Transition from left brain thinking to right
- "The ultimate meditation hack"
- Don't mistake simplicity for weakness
-What is the "super power pose" [54:15]
- When you're scared or stressed, we start to concave
- Our emotions respond to our body, and vice versa
-What is black pepper tea, and what does it have to do with
- Put 6-8 grinds of organic black pepper into a mug and pour
boiling water over
- Self-induced fever
- Would it enhance a sauna experience?
- First person to try it and report their results via a comment
below will receive a gift registration to Ziva online
-And much more
Resources from this episode:
-Ziva Meditation (use code BEN to save
$50) -BGF podcasts mentioned:
Stress Less, Accomplish More: Meditation for Extraordinary
-Book: The Healing Code
-Book: Mind To Matter
-Book: Powerful Poise by Amy Cuddy
-Book: The Alter Ego Effect
-Book: The Telomere Effect
-Radio Lab podcast on
Ebook: One of the most comprehensive resources on how
to personalize your meditation practice based on your own
The performance tool that is changing the way people track their
fitness and optimize their training. Save $30 off your order when
you use discount code: GREENFIELD
Naturals: A wellness company specializing in
innovative nutraceuticals made from healing hive compounds and
plant-based ingredients. Get 15% off your order when you use
discount code: BEN
Genius: Whether you’re an
insurance expert or a newbie, Policygenius created a website that
makes it easy for you to compare quotes, get advice, and get
Do you have questions, thoughts or feedback for Emily
or me? Leave your comments below and one of us will