Nov 24, 2018
These days, when people ask me the #1 book I recommend
for all things gut, it is, hands down "Healthy
Gut, Healthy You" by Dr. Michael Ruscio. This book takes a deep
dive into topics such as:
- How the gut works and its role in your body,
- Practical diet and lifestyle advice to support your gut
- Simple and actionable tools to repair your gut,
- An innovative, user-friendly plan to heal, support, and
revitalize your gut.
This is Dr. Ruscio's third appearance on the podcast.
The first one, titled Why Healthy People Get Broken Guts,
And What You Can Do About It talked about why apparently
healthy people, especially athletes and exercise enthusiasts, get
broken guts, and what they can do about it.
Then, the second podcast, titled Good Carbs, Bad Carbs, High Carbs,
Low Carbs & More: Clearing Up Carbohydrate Confusion, was an
in-depth discussion on carbs and their effect on your body.
What will his third appearance on the podcast reveal???
Quite a bit, as you will hear.
About the guest:
Michael Ruscio is a doctor, clinical researcher and best-selling
author whose practical ideas on healing chronic illness have made
him an influential voice in functional and alternative medicine.
His work has been published in peer-reviewed medical journals and
he speaks at integrative medical conferences across the globe. Dr.
Ruscio also runs an influential website and podcast at
DrRuscio.com, as well as his clinical practice located in northern
During my discussion with Dr. Ruscio, you'll
-What small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Dr. Ruscio's interest in this goes back 5 years.
- Focused on improving the health of bacteria.
- Observations don't always translate into practical action
inside a clinic.
- You differentiate the discrepancies when you separate the
large and small intestine.
- What's going on in the large intestine isn't indicative of
- A lot of "gut advice" is large intestine-centric.
- Small intestine comprises 56% of gut activity.
- Most prone to leaky gut
- Most immuno active
- Where 90% of calories are absorbed
- Bacterial overgrowth is either an overgrowth of or the
wrong type of bacteria in the small intestine
- Not a parasite
- Native to your system; either in the wrong place or too
much of it.
-How SIBO affects the thyroid...12:33
- Many people who think they have a thyroid condition
actually do not.
- 60% of people who were rechecked were found not to be
- Symptoms of hypothyroidism can be mistaken for other
problems in the GI tract.
- Study done on people with IBS (irritable bowel
- Higher incidence of fatigue, depression and anxiety
- They were not hypothyroid
- Another study looking at 1800 patients
- Looking for drug use, medication use, prior intestinal
surgery; expected these to increase risk of SIBO
- Two most correlated conditions: being hypothyroid and being
on thyroid medication.
- 290 were taken off medication and retested; 60% were not
- Neither antibodies, nor weight, nor time on medication
dictated whether were hypo or normal thyroid.
- Speak with your doctor to confirm whether you're
hypothyroid or not.
- Be wary if you were diagnosed by someone outside of
-The testing and protocol for SIBO Dr. Ruscio
- For testing thyroid: test TSH and Free T4
- If within normal range, you likely don't have a thyroid
- For SIBO, two practical options; breath tests.
- One uses glucose, the other uses lactulose
-About the elemental diet. What it is and how it
- Hypoallergenic, gut-healing meal replacement
- Absorbs in the first part of small intestine
- Rests the remainder of the small and large
- Starves overgrowth
- Not as difficult as it may sound.
-The African vs. the Westerner microbiota, and whether or
not it's a good idea to try to mimic our
-What happened when the Sardinians tried to eliminate
- Back in 1950's, Sardinia had a high rate of malaria; cases
of MS skyrocketed.
- Sardinian immune system learned to function with
- Once taken away, the immune system didn't know what to do.
Created unforeseen adverse consequences.
- The malaria may have actually strengthened their immune
- Article: Why Ben uses tapeworms and
-Why we should have more naturally occurring plant life
around our home...43:05
-Dr. Ruscio's comments on probiotics...44:55
- Most probiotics do not colonize you.
- Can help reset the microbiota to a healthy
- Works in tandem with a healthy lifestyle.
- Think of it as a "nudge" to complement your lifestyle to
reset to a healthy equilibrium
- Should kids use probiotics?
- The earlier an antibiotic is used, the more detrimental;
the earlier a probiotic is used, the more beneficial it
- Can probiotics "seed" the gut?
- A lot of outlandish claims to market the product.
- The more a product is marketed, the more claims are made
about it. May be unsubstantiated.
- Ecoli used as a probiotic?
-Why we would be "surprised" about dietary
- The amount of data Dr. Ruscio had to sort through almost
made him quit writing his book.
- There have been no consistent benefits shown from high
dietary fiber intake.
- Fiber enthusiasts cherry pick the data from which they make
their claims to its efficacy.
- Carnivore diet: Results are varied on patients Dr.
Ruscio has treated who have used it.
- Focus more on simplifying your diet. A "lazy"
-Whether or not melatonin can help with leaky
- Focus on sleep quality.
- Use melatonin carefully, to supplement healthy
Resources from this episode:
-Dr. Ruscio's new book "Healthy Gut, Healthy You"
-Thorne Mediclear SGS
-DirectLabs for SIBO testing (2-Hr Glucose/Lactulose)
-Kion Check out our incredible
Black Friday deals! The specials continue through Tuesday, 27
-Gainswave The bedroom
biohack for men and women who want to upgrade their sexual
performance. Purchase 6 treatments, and get one for free!
Britches Board shorts handmade in the USA since 1961. Get
10% off and free shipping on any order over $99 when you use
discount code "ben."
Juice. Get your favorite superfoods in one drink. NO shopping,
No juicing, No Blending, No CLEAN UP! Use discount code
"greenfield" and get 20% off your order.
-Goshas Organics is
giving 20% of every order to victims of the recent California
wildfires when you use discount code "ben10%."
Do you have questions, thoughts or feedback for Dr.
Ruscio or me? Leave your comments
at http://bengreenfieldfitness.com/healthygut and one of us