Feb 21, 2019
Is metformin really as dangerous as it's been made out
What are the best peptides to use for muscle gain, fat
loss and cognition?
How can you get started with testosterone optimization
I answer all these questions and many more in this podcast
with Jay Campbell, a Champion Men’s Physique Competitor and the
best selling author of the Testosterone Optimization Bible
and of The Definitive Testosterone
Replacement Therapy Manual: How to Optimize Your Testosterone for
Lifelong Health and Happiness... (along with a host of other books
linked to in the resources section below).
As a 17 year TRT patient, Jay is a master at manipulating and
tweaking the human endocrine system to optimize performance and
health. He has experience working with thousands of men and women
in optimizing their nutrition, exercise, fitness and fat loss. Jay
makes it his personal mission to affect positive and rapid change
in each and every client who enters the mastermind program.
During our absolutely epic discussion, you'll
-Jay's daily routine and why he eats only 3 days per
- Armour Desiccated Thyroid
- Lion's Mane
- Curcumin, turmeric,
- Protein powder, MCT oil
- Practice intermittent fasting if you're not fast-adapted or
want to lose weight
- The cold-filtration whey isolate Jay recommends...
- 70% of people have some sort of response (allergic or
otherwise) to whey protein
- True Nutrition
- Ben has used Mt. Capra
- Cold filtration similar to micro-filtration for wine
- Thorne Mediclear
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- 2 studies by Dr. Chandler Mars
- Morbidly obese diabetics using a disproportionate amount of
- "Life extension dose" varies due to body size, ancestry,
- Jay has used Metformin for 17 years
- Lactic Acidosis: studies done on samples not representative of
- Gastric issues are a result of Metformin cleaning up microbiota
- Subsides as the biome becomes used to Metformin
- Metformin protects the brain and cleans vascular pathways
-How to go about getting Metformin...
- Tell your doctor you want it because it's cardio-protective,
prevents cancer and is believed to stop the progress of
neuro-degenerative diseases such as Alzheimers
- It's also very affordable
-Whether Berberine should be used, and if so, as an alternative
or a supplement to Metformin...
- Berberine is similar to Metformin, but isn't as
regulated and is much more expensive
- Berberine doesn't have a good reputation among people in the
- Metformin is the most studied drug in the world (because of
-Jay's favorite peptides and what to look for when choosing a
peptide for yourself...
- Peptides are a great option for an aging man or woman to slow
down aging process, increase sleep, etc.
- Ipamorelin (GHRP)
- Highest efficacy if combined with a growth hormone
- Best peptide for women by far
- Neanderthal genes
- FDA approved; created by Merck
- Created for HIV positive men for lipo dystrophy
- Extremely expensive
- Highly effective in eliminating body fat
- Peptide fact sheet from Tailor Made
- Sermorelin is useless
- Semax as a nootropic
- BP 157
- Jay doesn't like:
-Why Jay is taking Armour Thyroid...
- Thyroid synergistic with hormones and testosterone
- Desiccated Thyroid: Combo of T3 and T4
-Rapid fire questions on testosterone...
- Is there a risk of cardio vascular health if one supplements
- If a man is a "metabolic emergency," potential for an incident;
because of that person's compromised health
- Testosterone is cardio protective; beneficial for the heart for
someone in good health
- TRT as a nootropic
- Testosterone increases dopamine signaling
- Feeling of "well-being"
- Improves working memory
- Once you start using it, do you have to be on it for life?
- Yes, but the individual's environment is
- What's the best delivery mechanism?
- Transscrotal application (absorbed 8x better in the scrotum
- What are you taking with testosterone to mitigate the
downstream side effects?
- World Link Medical
- You need testosterone to aromatize into estrogen to confer the
protective effects to your biological system
- You'd never want to take an aromatase inhibitor
- What should you be looking for in reference ranges, and what
should you be monitoring when you're on testosterone?
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
-Jay's recent roundtable on peptides
-Jay's TRT Revolution podcast
-Jay's book: "Guaranteed Shredded"
-Men's Health Optimization
-Ultimate Fat Loss Bundle
-Jay's Facebook video about
-Cold filtered whey protein
-Kion energy bar
-True Nutrition whey protein
-My article on the dangers of
-Jay's article on the benefits of
-Jay's Facebook video on
-Metformin Alters Microbiota,
Improving Insulin Sensitivity
-Metformin Alters Gut Microbiota of
Healthy Mice: Implication for Its Potential Role in Gut Microbiota
-Goat's Rue herb tea
-Extended release metformin from Inhouse
-T.S. Wiley's book: Lights Out - Sleep, Sex & Survival
-My podcast on testosterone
optimization from A4M in Vegas
-2020 A4M in Vegas
-Ben's peptide article: How To Use Growth Hormone Stacks For
A Better Body: Everything You Need To Know About IGF-LR3, GHRP, and
GHRH Peptide Stacks.
-Peptide fact sheet from Tailor Made
-Ben's article "Should You Get Growth Hormone
Injections (And Will GH or IGF-1 Increase Your Cancer
-Dr. Seed's oral BPC-157 (use ode BEN for 15% off entire
-Testosterone for depression
-Amazon version of the Testosterone Optimization Bible
-Pharmacokinetics of testosterone cream
applied to scrotal skin.
-My podcast with Anthony Jay -
Estrogeneration: How Estrogenics Are Making You Fat, Sick, and
-The DUTCH Hormone Panel
-Zach Bush's Restore
Other notes from Jay:
-Metformin Study: Mitochondrial Dysfunction
-This was on a thoroughly compromised patient population group
of Morbidly Obese Diabetics who were using anywhere from 6-9 grams
of Metformin per day. If you do further searches, it’s actually the
opposite. Metformin reverses Mitochondrial
Dysfunction. There are many, many others.
-Metformin Study: Lactic Acidosis - The fear of this
condition happening was based on a study from the 40s (still
attempting to find it) also in a massively compromised patient
cohort. These patients were in end-stage renal failure and also
obese and diabetic.
We must be mindful that correlation does not equate to
causation. All of these linked studies show that Lactic Acidosis
rarely happens if ever in normal patients population groups. Check
them here, here and here.
Elevated plasma metformin concentrations (as occur in
individuals with renal impairment) and a secondary event or
condition that further disrupts lactate production or clearance
(e.g., cirrhosis, sepsis, or hypoperfusion), are typically
necessary to cause metformin-associated lactic acidosis (MALA). As
these secondary events may be unpredictable and the mortality rate
for MALA approaches 50%, metformin has been contraindicated in
moderate and severe renal impairment since its FDA approval in
patients with normal renal function or mild renal insufficiency to
minimize the potential for toxic metformin levels and
MALA. However, the reported incidence of lactic acidosis in
clinical practice has proved to be very low (<10 cases per
Metformin Study: Gastric Issues (Nausea, Flatulence, Gut
-This happens only to people who won’t clean up their shitty
diet. Because Metformin is working directly on cleansing the
microbiota. All of these studies show Metformin’s action on the
Microbiota. Check the studies here, here and here.
“Metformin, the most frequently administered medication to
treat patients with type 2 diabetes, has only recently been
suggested to alter gut microbiota composition through the
increase in mucin-degrading Akkermansia muciniphila, as well as
several SCFA-producing (short-chain fatty
The gut microbiota of participants
on metformin has exerted alterations in gut metabolomics
with increased ability to produce butyrate and propionate,
substances involved in glucose homeostasis.
Thus, metformin appears to affect the microbiome, and an
individual's metformin tolerance or intolerance may
be influenced by their microbiome”
-Kion: The Clean Energy Bar is Kion’s
satisfying, nutrient-dense, real-food energy bars with a delicious
chocolate coconut flavor! Use discount code "bgf10" and get 10% off
-JOOVV: After using the Joovv for close to 2
years, it's the only light therapy device I'd ever recommend. Give
it a try: you won't be disappointed. Use discount code "ben" at
checkout and get a cool bonus gift with your order!
-Thrive Market: Your Favorite Organic Foods and
Products. Up to 50% Off. Delivered to Your Door. Order through
my link and get 25% off your first order plus a free
30 day trial of Thrive Market's subscription program.
-PSO-RITE: The PSO-RITE is
your 24/7 massage therapist when your body needs it the most. Use
discount code "ben10" to get a 10% discount off your order!
Do you have questions, thoughts or feedback for Jay or
me? Leave your comments below and one of us will