Oct 13, 2018
Anne Louise Gittleman was one of my first podcast
She first joined me in podcast episode #29: "How Many
Critters Are Living In YOUR Gut, Making You Fat, Tired, Lazy,
Bloated and Sick?"
Now, she's back on the show. Ann came to my house in Spokane, WA
to talk about her new, amazing book "Radical Metabolism: A Powerful
New Plan to Blast Fat and Reignite Your Energy in Just 21
This new book reveals the secrets to reviving a sluggish over-40
metabolism - secrets that work even faster if you're in your 20s
and 30s, or you suffer from liver, gallbladder or thyroid issues.
Inside the new book, you'll discover which "forbidden fats,"
forgotten flavors, and fat-busting beverages you can eat and drink
in order to increase your metabolism, protect against autoimmunity,
address gallbladder issues, type II diabetes, and other devastating
The Radical Metabolism program consists of:
-a 4-day Radical Intensive Cleanse designed to rest your
digestive tract and detoxify your body -21-Day Radical
Reboot where you'll learn exactly what combinations of foods to eat
for results you can feel and see -a Maintenance Plan for a
healthy life A Columbia University graduate, Ann Louise
Gittleman is often called "The First Lady of Nutrition".
She is a nutritionist, and internationally recognized as a
pioneer in dietary, environmental, and women's health issues. She
is an award-winning New York Times bestselling author of over 30
books on health and nutrition including diet, detox, women's
health, men's health, perimenopause, menopause, beauty and the
environment. As one of the world's foremost experts in functional
and integrative medicine she holds an M.S. in Nutrition Education
from Columbia University, has the title of Certified Nutrition
Specialist (C.N.S.) from the American College of Nutrition and a
Ph.D. in Holistic Nutrition.
Ann Louise has also served as the Chief Nutritionist of
Pediatric Clinic at Bellevue Hospital and is the former Director of
Nutrition at the Pritikin Longevity Center in Santa Monica, CA. She
has won numerous awards, including The American Medical Writers
Association Award for Excellence. In 2016 she was presented with
the Humanitarian Award from the Cancer Control Society. She
currently sits on the Advisory Board for the International
Institute for Building-Biology & Ecology, the Nutritional
Therapy Association, Inc. and Clear Passage, Inc.
During our discussion, you'll discover:
-Why the gallbladder is such a crucial component of
the Radical Metabolism program...8:40
- Women in the U.S. are FFF: Fat, Forty and Fatigued.
- Gallbladder removal is one of the most common procedures in
- It's not a "throw away" organ; we need to do everything we can
to keep it.
- The "unholy alliance" between the gallbladder and the thyroid.
- If people do not have free-flowing bile (which they don't if
they don't have a gallbladder) they can't convert successfully
convert T4 into T3.
- Because the thyroid is so intimately connected to
- People with sluggish bile are 7 times more likely to suffer
from hyper thyroidism.
- Ben struggled with decreased thyroid activity while training
- People who do keto or paleo diets with high intake of fat are
at risk; you need to be able to digest the fat and essential fatty
-Ann's thoughts on why the gallbladder and bile issues are so
common among American women...13:00
- Lack of choline.
- Study: 500 mg of choline 3x a day for 6 weeks will decongest a
- Choline is a lipotropic nutrient.
- We don't eat foods with natural lecithin; stigma surrounding
- Lack of bitter herbs in the diet.
- Natural sources of choline:
- Eggs (if you're not allergic)
- Sunflower lecithin supplement
- Bitter herbs Ann recommends:
- Grapefruit Diet (very popular in the 70's, with a resurgence in
- Grapefruit extract influences mitochondria.
- Bitter melon extract.
- Ben's favorite cocktail: Bitter herbs, on the rocks, with a
splash of gin. "Ben and Jitters"
-How do we test for gallbladder function?...20:43
- High liver enzymes
- If light colored stool, dizziness, hearing problems all part of
- Glutathione doesn't affect gallbladder.
- A bitter and resentful personality indicates gallbladder
- Anger is associated with the liver; resentment is associated
with the gallbladder.
-Is Ann a fan of any of the cleanses out there to increase
their bile levels?...23:00
- No. Because of congested bile, they can get stuck in the
gallbladder duct and create serious problems.
- The use of choline and bitters, then following Radical
-What is the "correct" way to do a coffee enema?...25:25
- Depends on the individual.
- Ensure the coffee is organic.
- Keep it inside you for 20 minutes; lay on your left side.
- Hazel Parcells: The grand dame of health.
- Black strap molasses.
-The balance of omega 3 and omega 6 fats, and why there's such
a thing as "too much fish oil"...27:45
- We need a 4:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fats.
- Watch out for bad omega 6 fats. Parent oils.
- You'll get more omega 6 fats from parent oils.
- Toasted sesame oil - Has lots of Vitamin T.
- What is Vitamin T?
- "Sixes are Sexy."
-Ann's thoughts on Udos
- Uses unrefined, raw sunflower oil.
- Uses proper antioxidants.
-The role of Gamma linolenic acid (GLA) in
formation of brown fat tissue...37:15
- It actually "activates" the tissue.
- Evening primrose oil;
- GLA helps people to lose weight without watching their calories
-Why Ann is a fan of essential amino acids...39:15
- We need more protein, not less.
- Has more to do with metabolic rate than the gallbladder.
- The right kind of coffee can prevent you from losing lean
- It's a way to get more concentrated amounts of proteins.
-The best way to test for toxicity in your body...42:00
- Non-invasive: hair tests; tissue analysis.
- Urine provocation test can be very hard on the system.
- Lots of toxicity in cooking tools and utensils.
-Why Ann would rather have a poisonous serpent in her kitchen
than aluminum foil.
- Use enamel covered iron as an alternative.
- Vita Clay. (Marge, Amazon link)
-Ann's 4 day and 21 day intensive cleanses...47:37
- Lots of watercress soup, which contains cancer fighting
phytonutrients. (Buy it at Trader Joe's.)
- Can also eat watercress as the green in a salad, as opposed to
- Juices that are low-glycemic. No pulp.
- Not uncommon to lose 8-10 pounds during the cleanse. Water
- You start with the 4 day, then take a week of maintenance and
then the 21 day.
- Why A2 is far preferable to A1 (found in most milks).
Resources from this episode:
-Unikey Health Systems
-Book: Radical Metabolism: A Powerful New Plan to Blast Fat
and Reignite Your Energy in Just 21 Days
-Book: The Gut Flush Plan: A Breakthrough Cleansing Program
- Flushes Fattening Toxins - Boosts Metabolism - Fortifies Your
-Book: Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm
Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic
-Podcast Episode #29: How Many
Critters Are Living In YOUR Gut, Making You Fat, Tired, Lazy,
Bloated and Sick? (hint: more than you think)
-Choline - 500mg of choline 3x/day for 4 weeks
-Blackstrap molasses enema
-The fish oil Ben takes
-Hair test from Trace Elements
-Enamel covered iron
-Watercress (from Thrive Market)
-Kion Lean Support for
normal blood sugar levels and healthy energy metabolism, even after
large, carb-rich meals. Use discount code "benlean10" and get 10%
off your order!
-Goshas Organics is a
recognized leader in Innovative PHYTO Herbal Honey Infusions. Use
discount code "ben10%" to get 10% off your order!
-Zip Recruiter takes
the headache out of hiring the right people for your business! Use
my link and get started
with Zip Recruiter for free!
-Organifi Try their Gold
juice: Pain-soothing herbs, antioxidants, &
phyto-nutrients all in one delicious, soothing “Golden Milk”. Use
code "greenfield" and get 20% off everything in your
Do you have questions, thoughts or feedback for Anne or
me? Leave your comments below and one of us will