Jan 31, 2019
The recent Kion 5 Day Fast has now come to a close - and we
had over 10,000 people participate (that's a whole lot of food that
During the fast, I received plenty of questions about fasting,
Does coffee help or harm your fast?
What can I do to improve my sleep during - and after - a
What is the hormonal effect of fasting on males? And what
about for women?
What is the best kind of fasting if your goal is body
composition (fat loss, muscle gain/maintenance)?
Does fasting - especially 3-5 day extended fasts - slow down
What type of training is best while fasting, and what type
of training should be avoided?
What other things can you do to enhance the benefits of a
fast? (e.g. cryotherapy, enemas, etc.)
How should you prepare for - and break - an extended
Is it OK to fast while breastfeeding or pregnant?
Does your ability to absorb food and supplements increase
after a fast?
What are your thoughts on EAAs while fasting? Do they break
a fast? And what about BCAAs?
And many more!
So in today's episode, I dive into an official fasting
Q&A solosode. Enjoy!
Here are the questions I'll be answering:
-How does fasting for longevity differ from fasting for things
like fat loss or circadian rhythm...7:45
- Decreasing calorie intake 20-40% is most optimal way to
regulate aging and increase life span
- Inhibit mTOR pathway, stimulate autophagy, induce
- Autophagy: "self eating" - not to be confused with apoptosis,
which is cell death
- Autophagosomes to lysosomes "spring cleaning in your
- Eating shuts down autophagy; fasting increases autophagy
- mTOR: mammalian target of rapamycin
- Energy enzyme
- ATP becomes ADP
- Every time you eat, you activate mTOR and suppress
- Ketosis: using fat as the primary source of fuel
- Less oxidative stress; slows the aging process
- My personal protocol:
- 12-16 hour intermittent fast daily
- 24 hour fast (dinner to dinner) twice a month
- Fasting mimicking diet (FMD) 4x/year
-Does coffee help or harm your fast...16:50
- Black coffee can enhance fatty acid mobilization from adipose
tissue, alertness, metabolism,
- Coffee without any calories added (coconut oil, butter, etc.)
will help the fast
-I don't sleep well when I fast...20:05
- Carb intake at night (dinner time) assists with sleep
- Shut down the sympathetic nervous system to get to sleep while
- You can get by on less sleep when you're fasting
- Don't forget the efficacy of breath work and meditation
-What is the hormonal effect of fasting on males vs.
- Lean and fit females do better with shorter fasts (12 hours);
men are more versatile
- Insulin, growth hormone, responds favorably to a fast
- Noradrenaline increases with fasting
- Level of testosterone increase while fasting is unknown
- Podcast on kisspeptin
-Does fasting slow down your metabolism?...30:45
-What other things can you do to enhance the benefits of a
-What type of training is best while fasting?...36:25
- Anything that rapidly depletes glycogen or carb levels will
have deleterious effects
- High weight, low reps; body building vs. weight lifting
- Walking, swimming, yoga; something you can do and have a
-How should you prepare for, and break, an extended
- When finished with a fast, you'll be less equipped to digest
- Go low and slow when reintroducing foods
- Soft cook veggies;
- Avocados, grass feed cottage cheese, eggs,
- No steaks; anything you need to chew for a long time
- Peter Attia's "nothing burger"
-Is it okay to fast while breastfeeding or
- Religions encourage women to refrain from fasting while
pregnant or breastfeeding
- Biochemical changes in milk in response to fasting
- Think "feast" not "famine"
-Does your ability to absorb food and supplements increase
after a fast?...45:38
-Should I use amino acids to aid my fast?...48:15
- Don't use them if your goal is cellular autophagy
- Can be very useful for resetting circadian rhythm, gut cleanup,
spiritual benefits, etc.
- Can be a good mTOR activator
- Dry mouth, from amino acids:
- Spilanthes, electric berries
- Ginger, cayenne powder increases salivary production
- GI effects:
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
-Kion's Free Fasting Guide
-Histamine X -Histamine Block
Aminos Building blocks for muscle recovery, reduced
cravings, better cognition, immunity, and more. Now in a
DELICIOUS berry flavor!
-JOOVV After using the Joovv for close to 2
years, it's the only light therapy device I'd ever recommend. Give
it a try: you won't be disappointed. Use my link when you order and
get a FREE bonus gift!
-The Christian Gratitude
Journal When you introduce conscious, mindful
gratitude into your day, positivity will begin to pour into your
life – along with all the other scientifically proven physical,
mental and spiritual benefits that go along with it.
Do you have questions, thoughts or feedback for me? Leave your
comments below and I'll reply!