Aug 29, 2019
In 2016, I published an interview with the person who
taught me Transcendental Meditation (TM)
Meditation is a powerful tool
for improving your mental, emotional, and even physical
Its widely studied benefits include stress reduction, better
sleep, enhanced focus, elevated mood, improved regulation of
emotions, and so much more.
When practiced consistently and with intention, meditation has
the unique ability to positively transform the way you think,
behave, and interact with the world around you.
It can literally rewire your brain!
But unfortunately, in the words of Tim Ferris, “meditation has a
Many of us view meditation as some woo-woo practice that’s
exclusively used by ultra-spiritual gurus and self-important
We tend to imagine it as sitting cross-legged on a pristine
mountain top, eyes closed, thinking about nothing, totally blissed
out: A mental image that’s equal parts alienating and
What’s worse, the standard advice for beginners to “sit still
and stop thinking” simply does not work.
It’s vague, it’s confusing, and it leaves people feeling
frustrated and ready to quit before their practice starts paying
So what exactly is transcendental
More than 380 peer-reviewed research studies on the
TM technique have been published in over 160 scientific journals.
These studies were conducted at many US and international
universities and research centers, including Harvard Medical
School, Stanford Medical School, Yale Medical School, and UCLA
Medical School...and they have shown irrefutable evidence that TM
reduces insomnia, stress, anxiety, depression, blood pressure,
cholesterol, congestive heart failure, atherosclerosis/stroke, free
radicals, blood sugar, diabetes, pain, along with higher levels of
brain functioning, longevity, sleep quality and much more.
The guy who taught me everything I know
about TM is named Philip Land.
Philip has been practicing TM for the past 40 years.
But he's no woo-woo, robe-clad, Eastern
He's an unassuming, straight-talking, God-fearing, gun-totin'
redneck living in northern Idaho. (When he's not teaching TM, you
can find him walking his dog or taking selfies with
Philip has taught TM all over the globe, working with
celebrities and high profile politicians. He's also worked in
medicine, computed tomography, radiation technology, craniosacral
therapy, hunting instruction, shooting, wilderness survival, and
In this fascinating interview, you'll learn..
-How "bad ass, redneck, hunting, hippy, family man" Philip
initially got involved with TM..8:50
- Was born and raised in Memphis, TN
- Heard of TM while attending Memphis State Univ.
- In retrospect, Philip believes he was "searching for
- Internal happiness was missing
- Celebrity TM practitioners.. 11:25
-How Philip describes TM...15:30
- "A simple, effortless mental technique that can be done
- Creating white noise inside your head
- TM does not have a monopoly on the ability to "transcend" where
the mind settles to a quieter and quieter level of awareness
- You transcend where you are physically, and take
yourself to another place mentally
-Religious elements of TM and why a guarded secrecy exists
among its teachers..19:45
- No religious belief is required; it's a mental technique
- You don't need to believe it will even work
- TM was argued before German Supreme Court; they ruled it is not
- Teachers are sworn to secrecy to protect the integrity of TM;
you can't learn certain parts of it in a weekend then teach it to
- These techniques are 5000-6000 years old
- Traditional way of teaching:
- Teacher performs a brief ceremony which reminds him or her to
maintain the integrity of the knowledge
- Performed in Sanskrit
-The "place" where a person transcends that produces a
- The field of pure consciousness is our core, our essence
- Many mantras that are used for each individual
- 3 things that make TM work:
- Sound (life supporting, no meaning assigned)
- The nature of the mind and life is to go to greater fields of
happiness, joy and intelligence
- Within each of us is a field of perfect order, joy,
- Color fasting cloth analogy
- Conscious mind becomes saturated in the perfect field of
- Mind settles, body settles and vice versa
- The vagus nerve plays an integral role in the mind/body
-Formal studies on the effects of TM on the brain..38:30
- Center for Brain, Consciousness and
Cognition (Dr. Fred Travis)
- Practitioners of TM with minimal sleep (4-5 hrs) performed
similarly to non-practicers with 8-9 hrs.
- (TM is not a suitable replacement for sleep)
- TM has been shown to stimulate dreams
-Why TM is still necessary, even with all the biohacks
- TM is natural, whereas some biohacks are "forced" on us
- TM is portable; you don't need to carry any devices
- A large number of prisoners practice TM
-The importance of a proper mantra when performing
- A proper mantra puts up no boundaries on the mind, thus
enabling it to transcend its normal environment
- They are time-tested for thousands of years
- There is no "one size fits all"
- The importance of one's individual mantra cannot be
- The mantra is just a small part of the totality of TM
-The connection between TM and longevity..59:10
- Biological age can be younger than the chronological age
- Decreases the rate by which telomeres shorten
- "Breath suspension" is a state of deep rest for the body
-The financial cost of learning TM and why it costs money in
the first place..1:03:45
- $960, one time, lifetime fee for the course (discounts for
college and high school students)
- Financial assistance is available if necessary
- No one will be turned away, although you'll need to
- What is "free" anyways?
-And much more..
Resources from this episode:
-Book: Principles by Ray Dalio
-Book: Money by Tony Robbins
-Center for Brain, Consciousness and
Cognition (Dr. Fred Travis)
-Kion Clean Energy
Bars: Satisfying, nutrient-dense, real-food energy
bars with a delicious chocolate coconut flavor! Ben Greenfield
Fitness listeners, receive a 10% discount off your entire Kion
order when you use discount code: BGF10.
Juice: Now you can get all your healthy superfoods in
one glass...with No Shopping, No Blending, No Juicing, and No
Cleanup. Get a 20% discount on your entire order when you use
discount code: BENG20
Genius: Whether you’re an
insurance expert or a newbie, Policygenius created a website that
makes it easy for you to compare quotes, get advice, and get
Recruiter: As your qualified
candidates roll in, we make it easy to screen & rate them, allowing
you to make the best hiring decisions for your business. Try it for
free when you use my
Got a question about anything that Philip and I talked about in
this episode? Leave a comment below and we'll reply!