Sep 22, 2018
For some reason, I've
gotten a reputation as a guy who "shines light on his
Perhaps it was this Men's Health magazine
article, in which I discuss a form of light therapy called
"photobiomodulation" as a way for guys to increase sexual
performance, sperm count and testosterone.
Or perhaps it's because I've described on multiple podcasts how
I pull down my pants for 20-30 minutes a day while I'm at my desk,
and "bathe my balls" in red and near-infrared light, using a device
called a "Joovv".
Turns out the benefits of photobiomodulation go far beyond your
nether regions. Heck, this recent study even hinted at the fact that
perhaps it should actually be banned as an illegal
performance-enhancing drug! On today's podcast, I discuss
photobiomodulation ins and outs with two experts in the field:
Justin Strahan and Scott Nelson.
Not just any man can take his wife's dream and make it a
reality. This is just one of the reasons why Justin is so special.
Justin's affinity for process and extreme attention to detail is
why we are lucky to have him as head of R&D. The two words we
would to describe Justin are intuitive and thorough. Prior to
inventing and developing the Joovv, he spent his career as an
engineer managing design and development teams. He also has six
children, and can apparently play drums and trumpet like it's
Scott is the impetus, power, and energy that set Joovv in
motion. As head of commercialization, his ability to metabolize
information quickly makes him an irreplaceable asset. The two words
we would use to describe Scott are efficient and personable. Prior
to cofounding Joovv, he spent his entire professional career in
leadership positions with some of the largest medical device
companies in the world, including Medtronic, Covidien, Boston
Scientific, and C.R. Bard.
During our discussion, you'll discover:
-The intriguing history of photobiomodulation (PBM) and the
- All types of health benefits from a wide range of
- Sunlight is optimal
- Red (600-670 nanometers); near infrared (800-880
- Visible Red light is considered near infrared.
- Far infrared is useful for heating tissue (over 3000
nanometers); you can't see it.
- Comparing research between red and near-infrared
- Original PBM devices were lasers. Low-level laser
- Difference between LED and lasers: light source itself.
Laser is a specific wavelength. LED is tight range, but not a
- Photo medicine is still a niche field. Most older academics
say that it's based on laser therapy, younger professionals say
with newer LED light, you can deliver the same level of intensity
over a much broader treatment area.
- How is LED light different from sunlight?
- Americans spend around 93% of their lifetime indoors due to
their work and lifestyle.
- PBM harnesses specific wavelengths; restores healthy
function to offset stressors such as wifi, bluetooth,
- It's similar to supplementing our diets with a smoothie or
- It doesn't contain the UVA or UVB, blue light,
-The compelling research behind phototherapy for everything
from testosterone to collagen to thyroid to muscular recovery and
- Wide-ranging benefits: skin health, muscle recovery,
- Supported by over 3,000 peer-reviewed
- Over 200 placebo-controlled trials.
- Restores natural skin health.
- Red light is studied for skin health; near infrared often
used for joint pain studies.
- Are JOOVV lights effective for controlling acne?
- The effect of red lights on the eyes. Will it damage your
eyes to stare at a JOOVV, or will it even help
- Proven to help degenerative eyes.
- Near-infrared a bit more comfortable to the eye.
- Begin treatment with eyes closed; then open eyes if you
- JOOVV elite allows you to use
only near-infrared light.
- JOOVV devices are registered with the FDA, Class
- How red and infrared light affects collagen
- It increases collagen production, helps restore joint
- Copper and green light have been shown to enhance benefits
of light therapy.
- Can PBM mitigate circadian rhythm or exposure to artificial
- Sun gets a "bad rap"; unfairly associated with skin
- Studies prove that red/infrared light increase levels of
-Is PBM effective in attaining weight loss?...41:30
- Not necessarily weight loss, but there is a "slimming
- Some studies have shown that red light helps in increasing
- Red light has been shown to mitigate the effects of sleep
-Why PBM is now under consideration for classification as a
"performance enhancing drug"...41:30
- Meta-analysis claimed that red light builds up muscle
- Near-infrared waves have had a profound impact.
-How PBM affects stem cells...49:30 -The effect of
using PBM on your neck for thyroid issues...51:30 -The
optimal amount of PBM to which you should expose yourself per
- It's difficult to test the power output of a
- There are many variables that affect the amount of PBM a
device is able to put out.
- Ensure you purchase your device from a reliable, trusted
- JOOVV is ~100 milowatts per sq.
- Recommended 10-minute treatment about 6" away from the
-The differences and benefits of continuous wave vs pulsed
- Pulsed means the light turns on and off very
- A bit of ambiguity on the results of pulsed; continuous
wave is tried and true.
- Sunlight is considered to be a continuous wave
-Whether the JOOVV produces much EMF or
flicker, and if you can actually look at the light without eye
- Household LED lighting is different from PBM. JOOVV lights have AC/DC built
- JOOVV lights mitigate "dirty
- Newer devices are even more effective.
-What kind of things you can combine with photobiomodulation
to enhance the effects...1:10:30
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
-Biomat mini -Vielight -Alitura Clay Mask -PulseCenters PEMF -Swannies clear lens blue light
blocking glasses -The structured water filter Ben
uses -4th Phase Of Water Book by Gerald Pollack
Colostrum Nature’s “first food” that supports immunity, GI
function, athletic recovery, and more.
Fire Support skin, joint, and gut health with bone broth & Soups. Use my link
and get a 15% discount off your order!
-Vuori is built to
move and sweat in, yet designed with a West Coast aesthetic that
transitions effortlessly into everyday life. Get 25%
off any of their clothing using discount code
-Organifi Try their Red
Juice: A “Tart-Sweet” Custom Brew With The HOTTEST Fat Melting
And “Skin-Firming” Superfoods In The World. Use discount code
"greenfield" and get 20% off your order!
Do you have questions, thoughts or feedback for Scott,
Justin or me? Leave your comments below and one of us will