Sep 27, 2018
Warning: today's podcast episode gets a bit...well edgy
- even explicit.
See, every so often, I get together with my fellow
fitness-freak podcasting friends - the good fellas from the MindPump studios - and we take a rather rough
around the edges, occasionally drug or alcohol infused, definitely
entertaining and edgy foray into longevity to life to religion to
parenting to biohacking and beyond. These always turn out to be
incredibly popular podcast episodes, and this one promises to be
The hosts of Mindpump claim to “pull back the curtain
on the mythology, snake oil and pseudo-science that pervades the
fitness industry and present science-backed solutions that result
in increased muscular development and performance while
simultaneously emphasizing health.” T
ake a gander at these fellas…as they seem to have the body
composition and transformation equation pretty well figured
Sal DiStefano. Sal was 14 years old when
he touched his first weight and from that moment he was hooked.
Growing up asthmatic, frequently sick and painfully skinny, Sal saw
weightlifting as a way to change his body and his self-image. In
the beginning, Sal’s body responded quickly to his training but
then his gains slowed and then stopped altogether. Not one to give
up easily, he began reading every muscle building publication he
could get his hands on to find ways to bust through his plateau. He
read Arnold’s Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding, Mentzer’s Heavy Duty,
Kubrick’s Dinosaur Training, and every muscle magazine he could
find; Weider’s Muscle and Fitness, Flex, Iron Man and even Muscle
Each time he read about a new technique or methodology he would
test it out in the gym. At age 18 his passion for the art and
science of resistance training was so consuming that he decided to
make it his profession and become a personal trainer. By 19 he was
managing health clubs and by 22 he owned his own gym. After 17
years as a personal trainer he has dedicated himself to bringing
science and TRUTH to the fitness industry.
Adam Schafer is a IFBB men’s physique Pro and
fitness expert. Adam made his entrance into the fitness world 14
years ago and has continued to send shock waves throughout the
community ever since. He is a man of many talents who wears many
hats. He is first and foremost a certified fitness expert who has
an insatiable desire to help people in need of major lifestyle
changes and daily accountable motivation. He is also incredibly
driven entrepreneur and business minded individual with a vision
that continually challenges his colleagues and peers to think
bigger and achieve more.
Justin Andrews has an incredible passion to
disrupt the personal training industry and create ground breaking
programs and tools that fitness professionals and clients alike can
benefit from. The fitness industry in general needs a massive face
lift to speak more to the generation growing up with a more
advanced technology tool kit. Justin’s approach is to create
programs that utilize technology as it advances and cut through the
millions of options people face everyday when seeking specific
information relating to their fitness needs.
The great thing about where we are today is how easy it is to
access information, the bad part about accessing all this
information is how much misinformation is out there to weed
through. As a health and fitness professional with a proven track
record here in the heart of the Silicon Valley, Justin Andrews will
keep working tirelessly to keep people educated and connected to
quality personal trainers long into the future.
Doug Egge received his first gym membership as
a gift from his dad when he was 16 years old. Rocky III had just
come out and he was determined to build a body like Stallone. It
never happened. Despite following the advice of muscle magazines
and busting his butt in the gym, Doug saw minimal gains over the
next 30 years. Then he was introduced to Sal Di Stefano by his
chiropractor who recommended he work with Sal to eliminate muscle
imbalances that were causing lower back issues. Sal’s unique
approach, often 180 degrees different from what Doug had read in
books and magazines, produced more results in a matter of months
than he had experienced in the 30 years prior.
Doug with an extensive marketing and media production
background, recognized Sal’s unique gift and perspective was
missing from the fitness world and suggested that they should join
forces. Doug and Sal have since produced life-altering programs
such as the No BS 6-Pack Formula and MAPS Anabolic. Doug is very
pleased to have the opportunity to work with Adam and Justin as
Producer of MindPump.
In this epic 2+ hour conversation with the MindPump
guys, you'll discover:
-Health hazards of the new nicotine vapor pens...7:40
- Hyper-concentrated amounts of THC. Nearly 100%
- There's such thing as too much of a good thing (essential
- St. John's wort an anti-depressant; put it in vodka for 4
weeks, then strain it.
-Observation: as humans have manipulated nature, all of a sudden
we have a bunch of diseases to worry about...10:45
- Two beliefs: creationism vs. evolutionism.
- Means of concentrating elements have changed.
-Synthetic THC, gravity bombs, etc...13:45
- A kid took two hits and lost his mind; scary thing to
- Deaths associated with synthetic cannabinoids
- It's impossible to kill yourself with real cannabis
- You want a total plant extract; CBD provides benefits but works
better with other cannabinoids present.
- Actually grows new brain cells.
-Oversaturation of cannabis-related products in the
- If you use a lot of it, you could be getting your body to
produce less natural cannabinoids.
- CBD protein, pre-workout, products.
- Ben has a high tolerance for stimulants like coffee and caffeine due to his upbringing.
- Varying reactions to caffeine/CBD combinations.
- Don't take grapefruit with medication.
-How I and my kids are increasing our levels of BDNF, which are
- Drinking lion's mane tea; using the sauna 3x/week.
- Side effects of low levels of BDNF.
- Not enough Vitamin D
- Not optimal cognitive ability
- The ins and outs of "smart drugs." I'm not as into them as I
-What it was like to start a supplement company, and a progress
report 1 year into it...27:30
- Began with just a few supplements: Serum, Flex, etc.
- I don't want to be "the face" of the company. I want the
products to stand for themselves. I'm behind the scenes,
formulating the supplements.
- We partner with some companies, like Thorne. Their labels contain the
- The process from idea to opening the company...
- Took around 2 1/2 years.
- We follow books like Traction,
and Rocket Fuel, EO Systems.
- I formulate supplements because I want it, and figure there are
others that need it too.
- Kion headquarters are in Boulder, CO; we use Slack
and Voxer to operate remotely.
- Best selling product is the Clean
- Rather than focus on "long tail" concepts, I focus on specific
pain points: sleep, longevity, joints, etc.
- We want people to have just a few supplements in their
- You have to create a high number of SKU's, OR have a
huge following in one specific area.
-The financial investments and human labor that went into
- Initial investment: $100k from a friend, who is an investment
- I invest in a lot of nutrition, fitness, bone broth, etc. companies.
- Kion has a board of 5 business-savvy members.
- Everything else I've financed personally.
- We're in the green less than a year into it.
- Same growth curve as companies that have been around for 3+
years. Due to existing traction from the podcast, email list,
- Relationship capital is HUGE. It's not about cold
- I have a spreadsheet that's a virtual rolodex of influencers
- Address to send free product
- Ask them to share on social media
- Relationships make it easy to decide who to listen to, what
products to promote, etc.
- Having assistants who make our schedule is actually far less
stressful than feeling like we're in control of everything.
- I've successfully built my business hiring experts who can
focus on just one particular element of the business. i.e.
scheduling, podcasts, etc. (H/T to Gary Keller's The One
- It's futile to build a huge following on social media and
promoting products. Although it's a temporary success, what do you
really have to be proud of? It's an unsustainable business
- I'm more concerned with creating a legacy with Kion, my books,
-The risk in terms of your own sanity in being consumed with
- Look at celebrities using botox, plastic surgery.
- The body changes, ages. You realize money isn't that
- Focus on building YOU, rather than your image.
- No one on their death bed wishes they made more money. They
wish they had more family time, practicing spirituality:
meditation, gratitude, connecting with a higher power.
- There's a lot to be gained by abstaining from certain comforts
of life. Delayed gratification. How do you want to be remembered?
What legacy do you want to build?
-Balancing scientific truth and spiritual truth...1:04:00
- Light is the first thing created. Research has shown that the
primary way in which cells communicate is via biophotonic
- There's a reason I'm not paleo...
- The first people were gardeners; EVERYTHING was
- Science itself eliminates the idea that you can
have only science and no moral code.
- We have a built-in morality that some scientists claim to
-What kinds of things do people hire me for?
- How to exercise and stay in shape for leisure activities and
meet business demands.
- Blood and biomarker interpretation.
- Create meal plans based on their own lifestyle.
- I'm the CEO of their health.
- Consult with pro sports teams: Miami Heat.
- Optimize light
- HEPA air filters
- Micro adjustments that take a team from good to great.
- Mostly for personal health reasons, rather than outperforming
-Things I do to mitigate jet lag...1:25:45
- Circadian cues: light, movement, food.
- Get into natural light ASAP; block LED lights.
- Avoid eating on the airplane as much as possible. Recommend
macadamia nuts, gum, stevia, electrolyte tablets. Wait until the
first regular time to eat a meal. Ex. You land at 2 am, wait until
normal breakfast time to eat. DON'T SKIP BREAKFAST!
- Mimic your movements in the new location, i.e. exercise time.
Look for a park; walk in your bare feet. Find a sauna and
The Last Resource You'll Ever Need on Sleep.
-The newest science in anti-aging and longevity
- Calorie restriction memetics Resveratrol, Astragalus
- Using fasting to build muscle mass.
- Interval training.
- When you drop your calories, your metabolism adjusts. Staggered
fasting helps mitigate that adjustment.
- NAD precursors: Tru Niagen, NiaCel, nicotinamide riboside
- Primary signaling molecules in our body are free radicals.
- Fecal transplants.
-What are some things I've eliminated from my
-Whether I've ever experimented with my cholesterol levels for
- Is any increase in strength because of fat-soluble vitamins, or
because it's an increase in cholesterol?
- I try to keep my total cholesterol above 200.
-The significance of consuming the RIGHT minerals into your
- Your body needs to be rich in minerals in order to respond to
- Drink salt water vs. tap water. Celtic salt is higher than
other types of salt.
- Why a couple of dill kosher pickles relieves a headache.
- On a quarterly basis, I test for hydroxy vitamin D, calcium,
red blood cell magnesium, CO2, chloride levels. I pay the most
attention to chloride levels and magnesium.
- Cramping during exercise is rarely due to mineral depletion or
- Due to an alpha motor neuron reflex.
- To reverse this cramp, taste something incredibly salty or
- The taste causes a motor neuron reflex and relieves the
-My reaction to being labeled the “pseudoscience
- Religion and spirituality are very difficult to prove.
- Some things such as cells communicating via biophotonics light
signaling have been proven since the 1700's; it's just not common
- People are afraid of it, or it disrupts the status quo.
- There's a certain amount of "industry manipulation" on the
information we receive.
-My opinion on the upcoming debates between Layne Norton/Dominic
D'Agostino and Chris Kresser/Joel Kahn on the Joe Rogan
Resources mentioned in this episode:
-The MAPS training plans designed by the
MindPump crew for fat loss, muscle gain, mobility, sports
performance and more. -My previous 3 podcasts with the MindPump
- The Mysterious Kuwait
Muscle-Building Phenomenon, The Too-Much-Protein Myth, Anabolic
Triggering Sessions & More With The MindPump Podcast
- The Mysterious Micro-Workouts,
Turning On Your Butt, Overdosing With Melatonin & More With The
- Six-Egg Breakfasts, Ketosis For
Bodybuilders, Resetting Weed Tolerance, Kratom Experimentation
& Much More With The Mindpump Guys!
-Book: Perennial Seller by Ryan Holiday
-Book: The Art of Manliness
-Own the Day by Aubrey Marcus
-Pau D' Arco Bark Tea
-Hello Ned -15% off first purchase
-WellnessFX Lab Testing
-Article: The Big Problem With Gyms & Why
You Need to Exercise Outdoors
-Book: Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi
-Website: The Art of Manliness | Men's Interests
-Book: Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What It
Means for Modern Relationships by Cacilda Jethá and
-State of the Art Led Circadian Lighting Systems
-Molecular Hydrogen Institute
-Book: Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health &
Life by Ben Greenfield
-The Last Resource On Sleep You’ll
Ever Need: Ben Greenfield’s Ultimate Guide To Napping, Jet Lag,
Sleep Cycles, Insomnia, Sleep Food, Sleep Supplements, Exercise
Before Bed & Much, Much More!
-Mind Pump Ep. 865: Stan
-Video: How to Convert NR into NAD for
Mitochondrial Health and Longevity -Helminthic therapy
Tian Chi Brighten your mind. Extra nourishment to help you
navigate the storm of stress, work, and life.
Pain-soothing herbs, antioxidants, & phyto-nutrients all
in one delicious, soothing “Golden Milk”. Use code “greenfield” at
checkout for a cool 20% discount.
Saunas. Advanced technology...for your good health. See
why Clear Light Jacuzzi Saunas are unsurpassed. Use my link and get
$500 off the regular price of a Clear Light Sauna.
-New Man Revolution
Never worry about your shower and bathroom products ever again! New
Man Revolution delivers the best quality men’s products, like men’s
shampoo, body wash and shave butter, right to your door. Use code
“ben” to get 15% off your first order; or get 25% off a new
subscription to the NMR club.