Nov 29, 2018
If you read this week's article "What Is The Perfect Human Diet? ", then you are
aware that I'm not a big fan of a myopic "one-size-fits-all"
approach to diets.
And yet, despite the enormous amount of biochemical
individuality that exists from person to person, there is still a
plethora of diet books published each year (particularly close to
swimsuit season or the New Year) that promise to be the de facto
final solution for everything from fat loss to banishing acne to
beating cravings and building muscle when, in fact, the same
ketogenic diet that helped your neighbor shed twenty pounds can
result in rampant inflammation, brain fog and oxidized cholesterol
The same could be said for a vegan diet, a carnivore diet or
many of the other currently popular eating approaches. In today's
podcast, Part 1 of a 2 part series on customizing your diet to you,
you're going to discover more about the concept of biochemical
individuality, along with how to test your body to determine the
perfect diet for you, and a range of dietary options to choose from
that have been vetted by yours truly. Enjoy!
During this solosode discussion, you'll
-The concept of biochemical individuality...7:35
- Book: Biochemical Individuality by Roger Williams
- No such thing as an "average" person.
- Nutrition and environment can affect our outcome.
- Some people do not need to supplement Vitamin C, A,
- Others are resistant to things such as Vitamin D; taking
the recommended amount damages their system.
- What worked for someone else may be damaging for
- Ketogenic Diet
- I used this when racing in Ironman triathlons; I still use
it for days I need endurance.
- Some are high in cholesterol, high liver enzymes.
- Familial hypercholesterolemia; negative response to high
intake of fats.
- Low amount of Alpha-Linolenic acid (ALA) is converted into
usable DHA or EPA
- Elongation of Omega 6 fatty acids
- Thrifty gene hypothesis (James Neal in 1962): Why humans
build fat mass
- Some people possess genes that cause them to accumulate fat
faster than others.
- FTO and PPRA genes are responsible for storing fatty
- Consider a low fat, or plant-based diet vs. a ketogenic if
you have these genes.
- Book: Wired to Eat by Rob Wolf
-Differences in methylation between
- Meat eaters: most meat has high amounts of methionine,
which is a high methyl donor
- Methylation occurs when a methyl group is taken from one
compound or molecule and is transferred to another.
- If you're undermethylated, you would benefit from a high
intake of muscular meats.
- Folate acts as a serotonin reuptake promoter. Good for
- Overmethylation: last thing you need is a bunch of meat for
- Consume protein, but don't be an extreme
-How to eat according to your ancestry...35:05
- Northern European: Access to fish, Vitamin D
- Mexicans, Hispanics, Chinese: More folate rich foods, leafy
- Japanese, Continental Europeans: High starch
- Lactase persistence gene
- If of European descent, more likely to be lactose
- Genes help determine biochemical individuality
-The best types of tests to figure out what diet is right
- Get a good blood test:
- Wellness FX Longevity Panel
- Cyrex test for food allergies
- Stool testing:
- DNA testing:
- Urine testing:
- Dutch test
- Organic amino acids test
- Arresting metabolic rate test
-The best diets and books I've come across over the
- Regardless of the diet you follow, follow basic
- Auto-Immune Paleo diet
- Good for healing inflammation and leaky gut
- Specific Carbohydrate Diet
- Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall
- Gut and Psychology Syndrome Diet (GaPS)
- Book: Gut and Psychology Syndrome
- Swiss Detox Diet
- Colorado Cleanse
- Elemental Diet
- Book: SIBO Info
- Book: Healthy Gut, Healthy You by Dr. Michael
- Walls Protocol
- Plant Paradox Diet
- Lower carb, lower sugar Mediterranean diet
- Weston A. Price Diet
- Closest to how I and my family eat
- You can customize it to your ancestry
- Book: The Jungle Effect by Daphne Miller (listen to
my podcast with Daphne)
-And much more...
-Blue Apron Choose
your meals. Unpack your box. Create magic. Get your first 3 meals
for FREE when you order using my
-JOOVV Order your JOOVV
light using my link and get a special bonus gift.
Britches Quality is our Gimmick isn’t just our slogan,
it’s a commitment we honor with every stitch sewn. Get 10% off your
order when you use code "ben" at checkout. Free shipping for orders
Fire Bone Broth. Support skin, join and gut health. Save
15% and get free shipping on orders of 6+ cartons when you use my
Do you have questions, thoughts or feedback for me about
customizing and personalizing your diet? Leave your comments
at http://bengreenfieldfitness.com/fdiets and I will